Health and Safety
Sample of the Menu
Sunrise Food Safety
1. Sunrise established an excellent hygiene and food safety system. Our main
objective is to provide proper nourishment, as well as, hygienic environment
for the children. The school nurse is in charge of food and hygiene
management for the school.
2. The Sunrise kitchen obtained a valid Food and Hygiene license issued by the
Shanghai Food and Drug Administration.
3. The Sunrise kitchen follows all regulations and standards in providing a safe
and healthy kitchen management whose main goal is to provide proper
nourishment to the students.
4. The Sunrise kitchen staff undergoes medical examination once a year and is
issued a valid health permit for work. They also have proper training in food
5. Food Menu
- The school nurse is in charge of preparing the weekly menu. The menu depends on the season and age of the children and should be well-balanced. Each meal should include rice, vegetable, meat or fish and fruits.
- At the beginning of each month, the food menu is checked or analyzed to determine if the required nutrients are being provided with each meal.
6. Food Purchase and Storage
An authorized person is in charge of making food purchases for the Sunrise
kitchen and all purchases are from legitimate and licensed establishments.
Here are rules and guidelines that the Sunrise kitchen follow for food safety and quality:
- None-food related items are not allowed in the kitchen. Food spoilage is strictly prohibited.
- We follow advisories from Shanghai Food and Drug Administration about food and food related items that are prohibited.
- Note: We do not use MSG (monosodium glutamate) and any other additives.
- We require our food suppliers to provide us with a health permit and product inspection certificate (for meat).
- Food is purchased on a daily basis to ensure its freshness and food preparation is consistent and uniform at all times. Food purchase and food preparation are checked by the school nurse everyday to ensure safety and quality.
7. Meal Preparation
- Fruits and vegetables are washed thoroughly to avoid contamination and to safeguard against food poisoning.
- Food is prepared according to the number of children being served.
- Raw and cooked foods are kept separately and can be stored for 24-48 hours only. In storage, food is labeled properly. The label should indicate the name of the dish, date and time of preparation and the person who prepared it. A sample is taken from each dish and saved for reference (if needed).
8. Environmental Health
- Safekeeping and maintenance of all kitchen equipment, cutlery and utensils is the responsibility of the kitchen staff. Cutlery and utensils are washed after use, disinfected before use, sterilized and stored in specified containers.
- The kitchen staff maintains cleanliness in the kitchen area and manage the disposal of trash. They follow a regular cleaning and waste disposal schedule.
- Cooker hoods and exhaust hoods are cleaned regularly. The kitchen is equipped with full fire safety provisions. Unauthorized persons are NOT allowed to enter the kitchen at all times.
9. Water Sanitation
- Drinking water equipment used by the school passed all safety requirements and is issued a health permit.
- Maintenance and cleaning of this machine is done by professional cleaning personnel on a regular basis.
- School assistants refresh the water supply every day.
10. The school nurse conducts a daily morning check of the kitchen staff to
determine if they are fit to work on the kitchen. Making sure to check for
conditions such as diarrhea and skin inflammation. Any person showing
symptoms of the above mentioned conditions will be advised to go to the
hospital for check-up or treatment.
11. Safety is of utmost importance and in order to achieve this, the kitchen staff
follow strict rules such as:
A. Doors are locked after working hours.
B. The kitchen staff is not allowed to leave the area during working hours.
They can only do so during their breaks and after obtaining permission
for other reasons.
C. The kitchen is always attended by the staff and guarded against
12. All kitchen cabinets and storage areas are locked at all times. Keys are kept
in hand by the staff for easy access when needed.